Hello! My name is Jennie (Cho) Magiera. I'm the Digital Learning Coordinator for the Academy for Urban School Leadership, a network of 25 neighborhood Chicago Public Schools. In my other lives, I've also been a 4th-5th grade math teacher and a Math/Technology Coach in Chicago Public Schools. I received my B.A. in Psychology & History at Columbia University, then attained my M.S.T. in Mathematics Education at University of Illinois-Chicago. When I'm not in schools, I write curriculum, teach at the graduate level, speak at conferences and lead workshops for various organizations.
In 2008, I became a Golden Apple Teacher of Distinction and subsequently helped to co-found and run the GA Teachers for Tomorrow annual conferences. I was a member of the University of Chicago Teacher Leadership Institute for Math and Science and served as an Everyday Mathematics curriculum fellow.
As an Apple Distinguished Educator, Google Certified Teacher and Chicago Public School's Tech Innovator of the Year, I have been exploring ways to redefine education through effective technology use. In 2010, I began implementing a 1:1 iPad technology grant. I did my best to leverage these devices to improve assessment practices and increase differentiation. In 2011, I oversaw an expansion of this grant to 9 other classrooms in our building. Now I continue to explore how to use iPads, Chromebooks and other 1:1 devices to increase student metacognition skills, problem solving and creativity.
Aside from my students, my great loves in life are sci fi, mashed potatoes, Tabasco sauce, my dog and my husband.
Contact / Info...
- Recent conference keynotes, presentations and workshops
- #17 in list of 100 Top Experts in #eLearning and #EdTech
- MERLOT Classics Award Winner, 2013
- Chicago Public Schools Tech Innovator of the Year, 2012
- BAMMY Award - Innovator of the Year - Finalist, 2012
- Google Certified Teacher, 2012
- Apple Distinguished Educator, 2011
- University of Chicago-Center for Elementary Math and Science Education Summer Fellow, 2011
- Golden Apple Teacher of Distinction, 2008, 2011
- CUE Lead Learner
- EdReach's Mobile Reach Podcast - host
- McGraw-Hill MHExchange: "Quick Tips for Finding and Using the Best Edu-Apps" February 12, 2013
- Appitic: "Teachers Rediscover Playtime" February 20, 2013
- iTunes U Course: "Map Your PD Pathway"
- iTunes U Course: "Digital Differentiation via Video"
- Education Week: "Five Tips for Supporting the iPad Classroom" November 7, 2012
- Appolicious: "Workflow Apps to Manage Student Work" October 1, 2012
- Appolicious: "Screencasting Smackdown" September 10, 2012
- Education Week: "Bionic PD" May 15, 2012
- Education Week: "Ed Tech Integration is a Low Bar" February 15, 2012
- Education Week: "Redefining Instruction with Technology: Five Essential Steps" January 25, 2012
- T.H.E. Journal: "Teachers List the Very Best Apps for Turning Your iPad Into a Collaborative Device" May 9, 2013
- T.H.E. Journal: "The iPads in Education Conference That's Not About iPads" March 13, 2013
- U.S. Department of Education Blog: "From Digital Doubter to Tech Guru" February 6, 2013
- EdSurge: "How a Teacher Morphed from Tech Novice to Expert" February 6, 2013
- Amplify spotlight: "Jennie Magiera"
- Excellence in Governance and School Leadership: "Transformative Teaching Practices" October 4, 2011